How Much Does It Cost to Reshingle a Roof in Ontario
The two most frequently asked questions from home owners are: “what are the roofing prices in Ontario” and “roof shingles price” in general. While it is a straightforward question, the answer is not as simple. By just speaking to a professional roofer and providing dimensions and basic information of your roof, it is not possible to quote a price.
So how much does a new roof cost? There are many factors that impact the cost of a new roof. To prepare a proper estimate, an experienced roofer must visit and inspect the health of the roof system as well as note measurements and other important variables which will determine the price of a roof replacement.
8 Factors That Will Determine the Price of Replacing a Roof
- Size of the roof: The material & labour cost to install a new roof on a small roof vs. a larger roof will differ.
- Roof slope or pitch: Roofs that are steeper requires more time to install and also more material.
- Type of application: Low slope vs steep slope systems require different roofing applications.
- Material choice: Prices vary depending on the roofing material and its quality.
- Number of layers: If your current roof has multiple layers of roof shingles, this will require additional time to account for the removal of the existing layers.
- Roof Adornments (wall flashings, chimney flashings, skylights, plumbing stacks, etc.): These may require extra work if leaks and/or flashing repairs/replacements needs to be addressed.
- Roof accessibility: Roofs that are difficult to access will require additional equipment and labor.
- Roofing system components: This includes the underlayment and decking materials, ventilation and insulation installed and types of fasteners used.
Asphalt Roof Shingle Prices
Different roofing materials have their own advantages and disadvantages. While one may choose a certain material for aesthetic reasons, another will select ones based on functionality. Below are the prices for the popular types of asphalt shingles used in Ontario. Prices for each grade ranges per square foot and is determined based on the factors listed above.
For traditional steep sloped roofs:
|Asphalt Roof Shingles||Price Range (per square foot)|
|Basic Architectural||$2.00 – $3.50|
|Medium Architectural||$2.70 – $4.00|
|High-end Architectural (requires special order)||$4.25 – $5.25|
|Luxury Architectural (requires special order)||$5.50 – $6.50|
Installing a new roof is a big investment. However, if you choose a good roofing contractor, your new investment will last up to 50 years. Before you replace your roof, it is necessary to determine if a new roof is required. Is your existing roof near the end of its service life (20 – 25 years)? Are there multiple & extensive leaks? Do you want to improve your home curb appeal? If you answered ‘yes’ to either of these questions, it is most likely time to have your roof inspected by a good, professional roofing company. A professional roofer will be happy to explain all aspects of a roofing system and the price associated. Note that estimates vary between roofing contractors.
Smart Roofing has been installing quality roofs for both commercial and residential clients since 1995. Contact us for a free estimate and one of our experienced roofing consultants will walk you through every detail of the project.